Head of Sport & Physical Activity Development Norwich £42,036- £48,677 Relocation Package Available
We are looking for a Head of Sport and Physical Activity Development for a leading University in East Anglia who will be responsible for drawing together the two facets of a sport development plan in students and the community. Candidates will need the ability and experience to drive in new business opportunities via innovative programming and high-profile events; all with the purpose of supporting the enhancement of the current self-sustaining business model. Key responsibilities will include:
- To establish and develop a holistic sport and physical activity development programme, for juniors and adults, ranging from participative grass roots schemes, to competitions through to elite performance support.
- To attract inactive members of the community and students by identifying key target groups within the catchment area considering the health and wellbeing opportunities to engage with 'harder to reach' elements of the student body and wider community.
- To develop a sporting performance plan, capitalising on the Local Sports Academy,Sports Scholarships and other 'focus sport' opportunities, utilising internal and external partners.
- To recruit, train and line manage appropriately qualified staff for all programme activities working closely with NGB's.
- To ensure that the highest standards of health & safety and safeguarding are built in to all programming
- To ensure there is a comprehensive support network for student sport clubs:
- To be responsible for completing benchmarking activities to ensure a continuous improvement plan encourages improved service standards and performance levels across the comprehensive sport development landscape
- To be responsible for maximising the opportunity to utilise 'customer insight' and research methods to identify and initiate development opportunities by being networked with stakeholders/organisations to stay at the forefront of sport development innovation.
- Making best use of all forms of communication, marketing and promotion routes to ensure there are consistent messages being sent out to improve awareness and improve engagement with students and the wider community.
- To ensure a rigorous monitoring and review process is adhered to for financial performance against set targets, forecasting opportunities and risk to further improve business outcomes.
- To support the Director of Sport with the development of a new sports strategy that encompasses student, community and commercial development opportunities, with an annual business plan for the delivery of all programming.
- To support the Director of Sport by representing the University with multiple stakeholders including Sport England, NGB's, County Partnerships and Sporting clubs.
- Act as Deputy Director for day to day matters as required / be a member of the emergency call out team.
To be considered for this role candidates will require:
- Degree level, preferably in a business related and/or sport development disciplines (or equivalent qualification or directly relevant experience
- Knowledge of HE sport - both participation and performance strands.
- Sound knowledge and experience of utilising digital media functions and effective marketing activities in support of business objectives.
- Minimum of 4 years' experience within the sports and leisure industry.
- Proven competency in financial / budgetary responsibilities, in excess of £500k pa, and significant evidence of contributing to new business generating ideas.
- Utilising management information systems (preferably leisure) to inform business development solutions.
- Establishing and nurturing effective business relationships with external agencies.
- Demonstrable ability of writing and presenting compelling business / project cases to senior managers.
- Ability to work well within, as well as lead and motivate a large and diverse team. To be proactive in seeking the best possible service outcomes.
In addition to a highly competitive basic salary there are a significant range of additional benefits that include joining the university superannuation scheme.
There is a relocation package that is available with this position.